Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Are you dead or alive?

‎"Stop eating “dead” foods: junk, fried, and fast foods, as well as processed carbs. They’re loaded with sugar and other additives. The more live foods we eat (fruits and vegetables), the more alive we feel. The more dead foods we eat…well, you get the idea." - Tony Horton

Being fans of P90X and Beachbody on my facebook page is a great thing. They are constantly posting videos, tips and quotes to motivate and encourage. The best part is that most of them are straight forward and what I need to hear, not some little "kumbaya" quote. This one from Tony really spoke to me this week. Since I've hit 130 I've sort of been slacking. I've def not been 100% paleo and I've sort of turned a cheat meal into a cheat weekend. Now I'm still working just as hard in the gym so I'm maintaining my weight but there is so much truth in Tony's quote and I'm a perfect example. The past couple weekends I've let my cheating go a little too far. I'm not pigging out on junk, but I'm just not making the best choices because well, its the weekend. This sometimes rolls over into my week and I get lazy and don't prepare my meals in advance. This often leaves me starving and reaching for whatever is in sight, which is all bad. Yesterday I did better, and today has been 100% on point and I feel amazing. When I skip meals or eat chips and salsa instead of having a real lunch I end up feeling like crap. I'm lethargic and usually end up feeling bloated. Today has been high protein, lots of water, lots of veggies, 2 servings of fruit, and NO crap. And even though I was up at 5am, had an intense spin class this morning, and have spent all day at work, I feel great. I'm in a fantastic mood and I feel ALIVE. Just like Tony said. The more "live" foods I eat, the better I feel. Just one full day of properly fueling my body reminded me of why its so important and why I always need to choose my carrots & zucchini over the candy dish at work.

I spend lots of time reading different articles about paleo, nutrition, weigh lifting, body building, running, etc. so that I can gain as much knowledge as possible to continue to grow and change my routine. Doing the same old boring thing at the gym every day is no fun. Plus our body and muscles need to be confused if weight loss is the goal. I never do the same thing for cardio 2 days in a row, and I never do the same amount of time of cardio 2 days in a row. Tuesdays and Thursdays are hour long spin, so I don't do abs on these days and I don't really do any major lifting. I just let these be my crazy go all out, sweat up a storm cardio days. Mon, Wed, Fri I do a little less cardio and some serious lifting. 10lb weights won't do much for you ladies. If you want to see some definition you've got to lift heavier 6-8 reps. My arms, shoulders and back are really starting to look toned and defined now that I'm not scared of heavier weight. I've also learned that as far as leg days go, leg machines are not the biz. You want to feel a burn in those buns and thighs...its all about squats and lunges! At first I was super self conscious about being "that girl" in front of the mirror doing squats and then walking up and down the gym floor doing lunges, but who cares?! My priority in the gym needs to be to work hard, not check out what everyone else is doing or wonder if they're watching me. The stair master is new to me, I checked it out for the first time last week and it kicked my butt. I'm not talking about the little one where you just lift your foot and do a little step, I'm talking about the moving stairs. It's legit. Don't be afraid to try new things at the gym. I know for me personally I would avoid machines I didn't know how to use because I didn't want to look dumb, but when you are able to do something different each day it keeps your workouts interesting. 
One last tip before I go, if you're like me good music is essential during your gym session. I just don't have the time to keep updating playlists and I get tired of hearing the sames songs over and over. I use my iphone when I'm at the gym as my ipod and the other day I decided to use my Pandora app instead of listen to my now awful workout playlist. It was the best decision ever. I can pick what I want depending on my mood and it keeps my pumped up all morning. If you have a smart phone use your Pandora app in the gym! 

No comments:

Post a Comment