Wednesday, June 8, 2011

iPaleo

The Paleo diet is not for everyone, many people can't bear the thought of giving up certain food groups altogether. But I have a challenge for you. Try it for a week, 2 if you can, and let it be a chance to learn something from your body. When I started paleo, I instantly slimmed down and got out of my plateau. Obviously when you cut carbs from your diet you're going to see some quick results, but you know how some days you just feel sluggish or bloated and you can't figure out why. I bet you its the foods you're eating! Everyone knows that they should stay away from fast food, and anything fried, mainly because it's bad for you but also because who have you ever heard say they just ate a big mac and feel great?! Stripping away certain foods from your diet can give you an opportunity to not only find healthier alternatives but to also notice how great you can feel without consuming them.
Let me break it down by explaining how paleo has helped me, beyond losing those last 10lbs. For starters I eat WAY more veggies now than at any other point in my life. When grains aren't an option at dinner, veggies become the biggest portion on my plate. Also, in the past I struggled a lot with feeling bloated and with getting frequent headaches/migraines. When I gave up dairy not only did my tummy flatten out but that bloated feeling and those headaches pretty much just disappeared. Let me be the first to say, I love ALL things dairy. I think cheese is good with anything, I could eat ice cream for breakfast lunch & dinner, and I love milk because I LOVE cereal. But what I failed to realize is that while I loved it, my tummy didn't. We just didn't have a healthy relationship and it was time for me to end things. My body does need calcium though, so I do take a multivitamin. And there are times that I do want a scoop of ice cream, or a frozen yogurt, and there are times when eating a little dairy just can't be avoided and that's ok with me. But I've learned that for ME to feel good on the inside I have to limit my intake.
So my challenge is not to convert you to my "crazy" diet, but to teach you something you may not know about your body. Sometimes when we give certain things up we realize we never really needed them in the first place, or that they were doing more harm to us than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment