Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Screw ups, Hiccups, and Bumps in the Road.

I would say that 90% of the time I am super dedicated to my new found lifestyle of health and fitness. Even on the days (like today) that getting up at 5am is the last thing I want to be doing, I still push through and make it in for my workout. I plan my meals, eat certain things in certain quantities at certain times, its almost religious and borderline ridiculous. But I am human, and I am fighting against years of terrible eating habits. This weekend I let every excuse in the book justify every calorie loaded bite I shoved in my mouth. The weekend started off normal, I even got a workout in on Saturday. But I let the holiday and having company staying with me be my excuse to chow down. There were several times where I could have ordered better, skipped dessert, opted for water or tea instead of a cocktail, picked up an apple instead of another chip, but I didnt. I tuned out all the voices in my head that kept saying, "you'll regret this" and I did it anyways. Now when you cut out dairy and carbs from your diet for a while and then all of a sudden you hoover it like theres no tomorrow, it wreaks havoc on your body. I've spent the past 2 days feeling bloated and lethargic, not to mention the guilt and dissapointment. This all has happened in the past. I've been eating well, working out and then something happens and a wrench is thrown in my routine. And just like that I'm back to my old ways. That is not the case this time. I've put too much time and effort in to just say you know what I'm done, I've already been eating crappy the past few days, I'll just keep it up. Instead I'm picking myself back up, dusting myself off and starting today with a clean slate. Thats all it takes, waking up one day and starting over. I was in the gym before 530 this morning and I'm back to my normal food groups. It will take me a couple days to feel better but deciding to hop back on the wagon is better then just giving up any day!

When I first started typing I had origially put that I was, "fighting against 24 years of terrible eating habits" but thats not true. My food choices were never the product of how I was raised. I was lucky enough to have a mother that cared about my health and nutrition. I was never given soda or sweets and normal snacks for me were veggies and fruits. Theres pictures of me in my high chair with broccoli scattered all over the tray. When I was in school I remember my friends lunches having chicken nuggets and packaged snack foods. I couldn't even get my mom to buy me lunchable let alone pack me pizza or chicken nuggets for lunch. But my mom could only keep me from these foods for so long. Eventually I would discover my love for everything sweet. But still, if I was at home, I was having a good meal. I don't ever remember my mom making anything processed or out of a box for dinner. There were always veggies or a salad and our house was always stocked with fruit. If you wanted a hostess cupcake, my house was not the place to be. It wasn't until my adult life, when I had the choice of what to eat and buy and cook that things got worse. But I couldn't be more thankful for my mom buying the things she did, and taking the time to prepare meals that were nourishing me instead of just feeding me.
I think so many kids are picky eaters because its easier to throw some chicken nuggets in the microwave or cook some kraft mac and cheese then it is to take the time to make a sandwich and slice some fruit. We don't think about how important it is for them to not only learn to like lots of different foods but also be healthy. We want them to say please and thank you and have perfect manners, but why is there health not just as important? Steve's kids like mac and cheese, they like french fries, and cookies. But they also like fruit, they like turkey sandwiches, and just about anything I make for dinner. Just because they like junk food doesn't mean thats what I should keep in the house for them. At first it's what we did, mac and cheese for lunch, what kind of nutrition is that?? Now its half a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with cheese and lettuce, slices of apples or strawberries, and a couple pretzels. And there are no complaints. I quickly learned that just as I want whats best for my body, I want whats best for theirs also. Did you know they even sell organic juice packs with WAY less added sugar then what we normally see in the stores? And that as long as you call it a hamburger, a turkey burger on a slice of whole grain bread is just the same to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment