Thursday, September 15, 2011

TWENTY-FIVE...with a bullet.

As my 25th birthday got closer and closer I really thought that once the day finally arrived I was going to have an anxiety attack or be on the verge of a quarter life crisis. Now had I not made the life changes I did this year and my outlook on things not changed, that anxiety attack may have really happened. But overall the inner me is in a really good place these days. I struggled a lot in my late teens and early twenties with creating my own happiness, trying to fit every square into a circle. I was always thinking, "Well if this & that happen, I'll be happy" "If this would just come together, I'll be happy" "If I had that, then I'll be happy."

I'm 25, I'm still in school, I still have the same job doing something I don't love or even really like, I'm struggling to hold on to certain friendships, I'm not where I saw myself being by 25. If I had woke up yesterday morning and thought all that, I would be going through a crisis.
Instead this is how I see it: I'm 25, I'm going to school for something I have discovered I love, I have a full time job, I have this amazing bond and friendship with my family, The MAN I love is my best friend, a three and five year old have stolen my heart and taught me the true meaning of patience and understanding, and for the first time in a long time I feel comfortable in my own skin.
The blessings in my life outweigh anything that I could view as a negative. Unlike in the past, today I have real goals set for myself and real motivation from within. So many of us want others to bring us happiness, we view it as something received. And I thought that way for a long time, but now I feel such a strong sense of peace in myself because I know that the part of the happiness I feel is from what I have accomplished, and set out to accomplish for the future.

So no quarter life crisis here, but I hope the next 25 don't fly by as quickly as the first :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment