Wednesday, June 20, 2012

More of why I love crossfit...


"Those are some sexy CF legs, they must belong to a strong woman" -Lauren Joseph
So I ate it again, and it didn't look as nasty as the first time I jacked my shin on a box jump, but it's definitely a more painful and gross wound this time around. Anyone that knows me well knows I HATE blood, the sight of my own makes me all "passy outy" and I can't even watch those medical reenactment shows on TV. So when I fell on Monday I got up, looked at the box and oh look, there's my skin! Haha instant woozy feeling and I had to take a minute to pace back and forth to make sure I didn't totally embarrass myself by throwing up. What sucked most was that in this particular wod "Kelly", there were 5 rounds of 30 box jumps (24 inch box), I was in round 2 when I fell. Prior to crossfit if this type of situation would have happened I probably would have either quit or decided to jump on a smaller box for the rest of the workout. But that's not what I did (I thought about it) but I was determined to compose myself and continue my workout with that damn 24 inch box. And I did, I finished that second round, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I kept second guessing my jumps and spent alot of time just looking at that stupid box of wood but I never just walked away. I wasn't thrilled with my time, but I was happy with myself for not saying, "I can't."

Crossfit has made me stronger physically but it has also made me stronger mentally. At CFS, "bitchassness" is not allowed. Where you workout do you have someone motivating you through your workout? Do the other members in your gym pass by you and give you a high five or yell out "good job, keep working"? During that wod on Monday, one of the coaches was yelling, "It's supposed to suck!" "Embrace the suck!" "Get jumping" "Get out the door!" Having that constant motivation makes all the difference in the world. Because even if for a second your brain allows you to have a negative thought, they don't! The coaches and athletes and CFS all want to see you and each other thrive and get stronger. I know there are a million different ways to stay in shape and workout and I think every person should do what works for them and makes them happy but if crossfit is something you've heard about and wanted to try, do it!

We Are Different
by Jonathan Heuer
We are a different breed.  We get excited by things most people avoid.  The idea of being laid out on our backs after a workout is appealing.  We strive on performance, deal with the pain, and take pleasure in small victories.  5 more pounds, 2 seconds quicker, an inch higher: these are the milestones we live for.  These are the reasons we come in day after day and do what we do.  We love the suck. We are also a little ridiculous.  We try and explain to friends and family why our shins are always scraped open, why our hands are ripped, why we’re having trouble walking down stairs that day, and then immediately try to convince them why they should come and do it.  We tend towards a cult-like mentality.  (Get more than two of us together and try to have a conversation about something else.  Won’t happen.)  We get way more excited about food than is normal, and we take cheat meals very seriously.  We wear ridiculous looking shoes, or sometimes no shoes at all.  We cheer when someone gets their first hand-tear and then take a picture of it.  We congratulate someone for puking during a workout, and none of this seems unusual to us. Most of all we are a community.  We suffer together and we succeed together.  We cheer each other on.  We help each other push past the pain and achieve things we never thought possible.  Both inside and outside of the gym we are family.  We come from all walks of life to find a common ground: Crossfit.  3…2…1… GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment