Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brave The Run


Running a half marathon isn't just like taking a jog around the block, it takes physical and mental endurance. Make it a trail run and it's a whole other ball game. In early 2011 when i was beginning my fitness journey I learned that I really loved running, it was something I was decent at and so as I started running further and further I began venturing away from treadmill and street running and took to the hills. My friend Ashley knew I had been running for a while and suggested we train for and run a half marathon together. She sent me a training schedule and I stuck with it, making it all the way up to 10 miles. But then I over stretched my achilles and took about 8 weeks off from running. Ashley went on to run the half marathon on her own and did an amazing job. When I had to stop running it was really hard for me. I didn't know what else to do. So that's where weight training came into play. I started taking a spin class for the cardio, but I really enjoyed lifting weights. Once I was able to start running again I was excited but never incorporated it back into my regiment as often as it once was. Still even though I found something new that I loved, and eventually this year started crossfitting, I never let go of that desire to run a half marathon. It just so happens that I work with a realtor who is an amazing distance/trail runner. She is head of registration for the Lynch Canyon Trail Run and suggested that I make my dream a reality by signing up for this years race. Although it had lots of hills, I knew that for me a trail run would be more "entertaining" than a street race and a little more of a challenge. Since the registration was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.
I did a few trail runs here and there leading up to the race, but didn't train anything like I had the year before. But in time, the endurance and strength I had built at CFS gave me the confidence I needed to know I had it in me to finish the 13.1 miles of trail.

Race Day 6/2/12:
I woke up before my alarm even went off (that's how anxious I was) and was ready on time and out the door. I had no idea what to expect when i got to the race. I had never even been to Lynch Canyon before and I had never had to register for a race. I sat in my car for a minute and watched where everyone else was going, so I didn't wander around like an idiot. I got my bib number, race shirt, and headed back to wait in my car because it was FREEZING. The wind was out of control. My mom and dad showed up about 20 minutes after me and my dad registered and my mom got her info for the hike she was doing. The race offered a 5k, 10k, half marathon, and free community hike. My dad was awesome and carried our water and goo packets during the run. He and I started off with a pretty good pace, the first few miles were all climbs but he stayed with me, motivating me up each hill and telling me when to drink and take my energy shots. We were having fun, talking with other runners and dodging snakes. Once we made it through the majority of the hills the next couple miles were a little easier. We made it through those first 6 miles piece of cake! The second half of the race was a different story. The way the course was mapped out you did a 6 point something mile loop twice. So the half marathon runners had to run through the finish line and then continue going on for another loop. Which meant after a decent "easy" couple miles you had to start climbing  up all those stupid hills again. The trails out there are pretty uneven and my feet were starting to hurt from running on the hole filled uneven surface, and my knees were taking a beating from the downhills. Endurance wise my body felt good, I had it in me to keep going but my joints were aching. I knew had I spent more time running on trails my body would have been more prepared for the impact but I just had to deal with it. My dad was feeling it too, his quads and calves were tight and the uphill was getting tough for both of us. We definitely ran the second half of the course alot slower than the first but we kept on going. I just kept telling myself that my feet didn't hurt, my knees were fine and I let my music help set my pace. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world to come up to the top of a hill and see the parking lot and FINISH LINE below. My dad was a little ways behind me and I stopped at the top of the hill to wait for him. He started the race with me and I wanted him to finish with me. I barreled down that hill and I was so glad to grab a cold bottle of water rip off my shoes and sit down! My mom and Steve were waiting for us at the finish and it was really the best feeling to know what we had just accomplished. I spent the rest of the day yesterday napping & hobbling around (because I was and still am THAT sore), then I ate mexican food and drank beer because dang it I earned it! LOL

My dad and I pre race
My mom and I
Finish line!
So happy to be done!


2 comments: