Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Because life is too short...

You know how sometimes things just sort of click for you? Like out of no where you just have this sense of peace in knowing that you just accepted something you probably should have a long time ago. Example: this whole passion for fitness started with a click. One day it just sort of hit me, "I'm ready, let's do this for real!" My mind, and my heart were on the same page and I had this fire lit inside of me that sent me on an amazing journey and brought me to some great realizations.
Well, I've had another "Aha" moment, well sort of an "Aha" week, coming to really see the next piece of myself that needs some work. It started last week when I saw this:

While this lovely little quote is about love, it really can be applied just to life in general. What really got me thinking was, "There are too many mediocre things in life." When you think about it, it's true. And love should definitely not be mediocre, but neither should our lives. Who is truly satisfied with just making it through the day, or just going through the motions? Now I know not all of our lives are these great adventures, not all of us have amazing professions we love, or the money to do whatever we want. We have what we have, but what we have is enough to be grateful for. 
Now anything is truly attainable with the right amount of effort and work but I'm not talking about setting your sights on changing your life in some drastic way. I'm talking about the here and now. Why is it that we think our lives don't really start until we get to a certain "place." Like life doesn't start until we have a certain career or buy a house, get married, make money. News flash, life has started and our time is up on this earth in the blink of an eye. Just because you have a goal set for your life, does not mean the present has to be mediocre. We choose how each day is going to pan out. Now clearly we can't see the future so we have to take life as it's thrown at us, but our actions and reactions are what help make each day good or bad. I could be mad all day long if I wanted to. I could be pissed about that fact that I have to get up at 4am to get in a workout, be mad about going to work at a job I don't love, have attitudes with everyone I work with, let my attitude come home with me at the end of the day, etc. you get the point.
I'm 25 years old, I'm aware of my flaws...I know I'm not perfect, I've even been told I'm hard to get along with. Changing who we are is a tough thing to do, I like me, but I know that there are qualities I poses that just aren't pretty and I let them effect the quality of my life. There have been too many times that I've let a bad attitude ruin everything, I've let the smallest things turn my day to shit, and I've complained too much when I should have been grateful. But this week this light bulb went off. This overwhelming feeling came over me that I need to take charge of how I am living my life. My life, just the way it is, is fabulous. I need to start remembering that. How I treat others, how I chose to start my day, what I dwell on and put my time into are all things that can make each day great. 
I have goals set for my life, but just because the future is a few miles up the road does not mean I shouldn't strive every day to make the right now count. This place I'm at right now, family, boyfriend, kids, work, friends, house, dog...this is my life, and I love it, and I will be damned if it is just mediocre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment