Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's not goodbye, more like "I'll see you later"

Never did I imagine that what seemed like a sore calf muscle would turn into the hot mess it has become! I'm still sticking to my own self diagnosis that its some sort of achilles injury, but hopefully a trip to the Dr. next week will shed some light on what is causing the pain and how I can make it go away. Ice and the elliptical are now my new best friends and I can't help but want to throw sticks at people that I see running. Physically I feel like a blob without running in my life, and boy I did not foresee such harsh psychological effects. I've been doing alot of reading on runnersworld.com this morning about injuries and one article I read couldn't have said how i'm feeling any better, "For many of us, running is like a best friend. We count on it to quiet our anxieties, focus our minds, and make us happier, healthier, and saner. So what happens when injury strikes and takes away our trusted ally? We curse, we pout, we may even cry and scream. Sound excessive or irrational? It's not—in fact, experts say experiencing these emotions is normal and healthy. "The sense of loss an athlete feels when injured can be very similar to the other types of mourning or grief that occur in our lives," says Diane Wiese-Bjornstal, Ph.D., associate professor of kinesiology at the University of Minnesota and a leading researcher of injury psychology. "It's a huge sense of loss that you feel."


Lucky for me after doing a little digging, I found this article:      http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13412-0,00.html
A whole weekly routine for sidelined runners. I have been feeling lost without a fitness plan for the past couple weeks. I mean Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun were all run days and I just haven't known what to do with myself. Finding this article couldn't have come at a better time, just so happens I even signed up at 24 hour fitness two days ago. So I'm finally letting go of the idea that I'm going to be able to run in a couple days, and with open arms I'm welcoming  in a new routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment